[Haskell-cafe] Hackathon hesitation

Chad Scherrer chad.scherrer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 13:57:54 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm interested in attending the Hackathon, but I don't have any previous
experience working on compilers. I think it could be a great learning
experience, but I certainly don't want to slow progress on any work by just
hanging around asking questions. I'm a mathematician/statistician, and my
programming experience is limited to high-level languages like Python, R,
and Haskell. I can read C (sort of), but I've been too frustrated by the
lack of high-level features to do anything useful with it. I've been using
Haskell for about 2 years now (every chance I get), and I'm very interested
in using it to allow high-performance (preferably parallel) code to be
written at a very high level of abstraction.

Given this, does it seem there would be much I could help with?

Thanks,

Chad Scherrer

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana" -- Groucho Marx