[Haskell-cafe] Shootout rankings

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:03:46 EST 2006

On 1/15/06, Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> sebastian.sylvan:
> > >
> > > It was always obvious that the "Write the program
> > > as-if lines of code were not being measured" clause
> > > relied too heavily on contributors willingness to
> > > co-operate.
> > >
> > > http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/faq.php#implementlist
> > >
> > > Maybe we finally have enough motivation to move to
> > > some other measurement of program volume :-)
> > >

> > I was just thinking about that. Some code is very obfuscated due to
>
> No Sebastian, this is very obfuscated: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/pretty.html
>
> ;)
>
> I think saying obfuscated is very unfair. We took advantage of some strengths
> of Haskell, such as type inference, to reduce the number of lines. No
> worse than, say, the SML MLton entries do -- and why not leverage this advantage,
> since our language can do it?
>
> In fact, we have 1 line entries for some of the problems that are just
> not competitive, though very instructive. It would be nice to be able to
> publish those.

I wasn't talking specifically about Haskell, but all languages (don't
like browsing around other languages only to see highly compact and
ugly solutions, which really don't give me a good taste for the
langugae).
Still, some Haskell implementations are clearly obfuscated to save
lines in certain circumstances (like: "thread im om = do (x::Int) <-
takeMVar im; putMVar om $! x+1; thread im om" int he cheap
concurrencybenchmark, most people don't write Haskell code with
semi-colons, and when they do they usually sequence them vertically,
not horizontally).

/S

--
Sebastian Sylvan