[Haskell-cafe] Shootout rankings

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Jan 15 17:32:25 EST 2006

sebastian.sylvan:
> On 1/15/06, Isaac Gouy <igouy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Haskell now ranked 2nd overall, only a point or so
> > > behind C:
> >
> > It was always obvious that the "Write the program
> > as-if lines of code were not being measured" clause
> > relied too heavily on contributors willingness to
> > co-operate.
> >
> > http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/faq.php#implementlist
> >
> > Maybe we finally have enough motivation to move to
> > some other measurement of program volume :-)
> >

> I was just thinking about that. Some code is very obfuscated due to

No Sebastian, this is very obfuscated: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/pretty.html

;)

I think saying obfuscated is very unfair. We took advantage of some strengths
of Haskell, such as type inference, to reduce the number of lines. No
worse than, say, the SML MLton entries do -- and why not leverage this advantage,
since our language can do it?

In fact, we have 1 line entries for some of the problems that are just
not competitive, though very instructive. It would be nice to be able to
publish those.

Cheers,
    Don