[Haskell-cafe] Shootout favoring imperative code

Brent Fulgham bfulg at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 4 14:37:15 EST 2006

--- Sebastian Sylvan <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com>
wrote:
> My point here was that even though you _can_
> generate this data in Haskell, there's no point in
requiring
> (because the order doesn't matter for the benchmark
itself).

We do need to agree on which 30 permutations should be
used
in the validation of the benchmark (just to make sure
that
the algorithms are producing correct output).

Perhaps we could specify the 30 (or perhaps 'N')
permutations
as an input file, or perhaps require that they be
hard-coded
into the program?

The problem with using an input file is that now we
are involving
file I/O in the benchmark, which introduces questions
about
where time is being spent (i.e., file access instead
of
pancake-flipping).

-Brent