[Haskell-cafe] Shootout favoring imperative code

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:23:37 EST 2006

On 1/4/06, Brent Fulgham <bfulg at pacbell.net> wrote:

> But I think Haskell may face real-world cases where
> data must
> be produced in some known order.  For Haskell to be a
> contender
> in "real world" use, it sometimes has to confront ugly
> requirements.

I must respectfully note that you contradict yourself somewhat.
First you state that there's no problem introducing unnecessary
requirements on the order of generating input data because it's to be
expected in the "real-world", and then you state that the reason for
not using more real-world benchmarks is to facilitate more volonteers.
Wouldn't less strict requirements where they are posible also
facilitate more contributions?

My point here was that even though you _can_ generate this data in
Haskell, there's no point in requiring (because the order doesn't
matter for the benchmark itself). This needless requirementm (for the
data to follow the order you get from an imperative solution) will
only put off contributors for functional solutions.

If you wanted to be fair here the order would be much more intricate
and require considerable obfuscation for all langauges.

/S

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+46(0)736-818655