[Haskell-cafe] graphics on mac os x

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 04:32:53 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 18:19 -0800, jeff p wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I am running ghc 6.4.1 on mac os X (10.4.5). Can anyone give me some
> pointers for getting graphics functionality?
>
> I have tried wxhaskell, but it gives me the error
>
> HelloWorld.hs:4:0:
>     Failed to load interface for `Graphics.UI.WX':
>         Bad interface file: /usr/local/wxhaskell/lib/imports/Graphics/UI/WX.hi
>             mismatched interface file versions: expected 6041, found 6040
>
> when I try to compile the HelloWorld.hs program following the mac os x
> instructions.

You need to use the same version of ghc as was used to complie the wx
package. So in this case it looks like you're using ghc 6.4.1 but wx was
complied with ghc 6.4. You can rebuild wx from source with ghc 6.4.1.

> I have also tried to run Graphics.HGL in X11, but I get the error:

> (dlopen(libX11.dylib, 10): image not found)

Do you have X11 installed?

> when I try to run the obligatory "Hello World" program from inside ghci.
>
> Are there other high/medium level graphics options for haskell on macs?

Gtk2Hs does work on macs though until the Gtk+ hackers have finished the
native port (which is in progress) it doesn't look perfect.

Duncan