[Haskell-cafe] Haskell as scripting language?

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Feb 15 18:16:55 EST 2006

jupdike:
> For scenario (a) you can use hs-plugins and ghc
>   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/hs-plugins/
> With hs-plugins you can get an "eval" command, or you can dynamically
> load Haskell modules (from source or pre-compiled .o files).
>
> GHC (>= 6.5) has an API that you can access from Haskell programs:
>   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/As_a_library
> I was wondering if the new GHC API gives you everything hs-plugins
> does? If not will it ultimately do what hs-plugins does and replace
> it, in the future?

It doesn't have the high level api. Sean Seefried actually implemented
an hs-plugins-like interface to some bits of GHC, and I'd expect that
hs-plugins 2 will just be a layer over ghc-api (or maybe part of
ghc-api).

Certainly the object loading and (ghci-based) evaluation could be moved
from hs-plugins to ghc-api. The file merging operations, and possibly
the native-code evaluation would require adding a layer over ghc-api.

-- Don