A suggestion for the next high profile Haskell project [Was: Re: [Haskell-cafe] What is a hacker?]

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 07:29:49 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 01:24:36PM +0100, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> I see a lack of will to understand on your part (the same thing you see
> in me :-). My statements are not contradictory: Some of the programs I
> was talking about were throw-away programs, for one use, and I would be
> satisfied even if they ran 10x-100x slower than they did, as long as
> they could finish the task. But it is nice to see that they are fast,
> even if they don't have to be, at least because it makes me more
> confident with using Haskell in more performance sensitive areas.

I didn't explain why I did optimize the program. It was not because
of speed, but because of memory usage. Better speed was a welcome,
but not neccesary side effect.

Anyway, don't concentrate on this particular example. All I say is that:
- sometimes I get efficient programs in Haskell right away (I my case
  quite often, but YMMV)
- sometimes efficiency doesn't matter
I don't think it is contradictory, especially because the two
"sometimes" can have a non-empty symmetric difference.

Best regards
Tomasz