A suggestion for the next high profile Haskell project [Was: Re: [Haskell-cafe] What is a hacker?]

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 07:24:36 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 12:39:31PM +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Tuesday, December 19, 2006, 12:33:54 PM, you wrote:
> >> it was because C++ program was not optimized at maximum, yes? :)  we are
> >> saying about PGP, are you believe that its code isn't yet optimized?
>
> > We are talking about _useful_ programs. A program doesn't have to be
> > blindingly fast to be useful.
>
> in previous message you wrote that your Haskell program was not slower than
> C++ one. now you says that you don't need fast program. seems that you
> don't sure what you want to say

I see a lack of will to understand on your part (the same thing you see
in me :-). My statements are not contradictory: Some of the programs I
was talking about were throw-away programs, for one use, and I would be
satisfied even if they ran 10x-100x slower than they did, as long as
they could finish the task. But it is nice to see that they are fast,
even if they don't have to be, at least because it makes me more
confident with using Haskell in more performance sensitive areas.

Best regards
Tomasz