[Haskell-cafe] Re: A suggestion for the next high profile Haskell project

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 18:13:55 EST 2006

Hello Neil,

>> let's go further in this long-term discussion. i've read Shootout problems
> It's more than 2 tasks that are dependant on the code generated by the compiler.

can you give me their names, please? :)

> And in my opinion, generally the Clean solution was the nicest in
> terms of speed/performance. There is absolutely no reason Haskell
> can't be as fast as Clean. Clean doesn't seem to go to the imperative
> style in most of the benchmarks.

of course. i've written in Feb detailed analysis why ghc generates slower
code than jhc/clean/ocaml. it's just not #1 priority and not so easy to fix

> I think Bulat has a point, currently the speed of idiomatic Haskell
> lags behind that of idiomatic C. But the two responses to that have to
> be "currently", but not "forever". And idiomatic C is like pulling out
> your own teeth with a pair of pliers - sometimes necessary, but never
> fun.

saying about idiomatic Haskell, it is 100-1000 times slower :)

look for example at http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/papers/afp-arrays.ps.gz

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com