[Haskell-cafe] Re: A suggestion for the next high profile Haskell project

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 15:04:59 EST 2006

Hi Bulat,

> let's go further in this long-term discussion. i've read Shootout problems
> and concluded that there are only 2 tasks which speed is dependent on
> code-generation abilities of compiler, all other tasks are dependent on
> speed of used libraries. just for example - in one test TCL was fastest
> language. why? because this test contained almost nothing but 1000 calls to
> the regex engine with very large strings and TCL regex engine was fastest

It's more than 2 tasks that are dependant on the code generated by the compiler.

And in my opinion, generally the Clean solution was the nicest in
terms of speed/performance. There is absolutely no reason Haskell
can't be as fast as Clean. Clean doesn't seem to go to the imperative
style in most of the benchmarks.

I think Bulat has a point, currently the speed of idiomatic Haskell
lags behind that of idiomatic C. But the two responses to that have to
be "currently", but not "forever". And idiomatic C is like pulling out
your own teeth with a pair of pliers - sometimes necessary, but never
fun.

Thanks

Neil