[Haskell-cafe] I'd like start with Haskell, but...

Gour list at atmarama.org
Sun Dec 17 03:14:51 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 20:41 +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> That said, if I was writing a GUI+database thing, which doesn't do a
> lot of substantial processing (more just Add/Edit/Delete buttons), I'd
> definately use C# over Haskell.

Oh great...

Duncan wrote: "That's certainly one of the use cases that we're aiming
for in the Gtk2Hs project with our new api for the list/tree widget
system. We can now more easily implement the data model in Haskell so
the obvious thing to try would be a model based on a DB query."

Although I'd be happy having available database-related widgets from
gnomedb available as part of gtk2hs bindings, still I'm confident that
above mentioned gtk2hs approach + eg. hdbc will be sufficient.

I'll also need database capabilities for my application and plan to use
sqlite as embedded engine, but having need for lot of calculations, I do
not want to lose Haskell purity & elegant style at any cost ;)

> Haskell can do this, but you are walking a relatively new path.

Someone has to pave the path, otherwise Haskell will eternally stay
niche language, or we should adjust the motto on haskell.org where it is
proudly stated: "Haskell is a general purpose, purely functional
programming language." into something more appropriate :-)

Sincerely,
Gour