[Haskell-cafe] Re: Building the community

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Dec 15 15:34:09 EST 2006

Cale Gibbard schrieb:
> There are also lots of other reasons why growing too quickly and
> gaining commercial users too quickly are double edged swords.
> Personally, I'd like to see the Prelude undergo a few more iterations,
> and it gets harder to change as more and more projects rely on it.
> When it does change, the maintenance cost of old code goes up, and not
> every project has an active maintainer.

This problem affects all libraries, not just the Prelude.
And it would be futile to hope that all of it will ever stabilize. There
will always be new libraries that are too new to have stabilized yet,
and that will always be an excuse for not "going commercial" (or, vice
versa, not adopting Haskell in a commercial setting).

The only solution that I know is explicit version numbering: wxHaskell
5.3.1 needs the Prelude 3.1.574, and there's a respository somewhere (on
the net or locally or whatever) that will automatically deliver Prelude
3.1.574 along with a requested wxHaskell 5.3.1.
Details can vary considerably, of course.

Regards,
Jo