[Haskell-cafe] Cabal licence files

Dougal Stanton ithika at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 12:37:06 EST 2006

Quoth Jason Dagit, nevermore:

> Something that has always confused me about .cabal files is that BSD
> has two versions but GPL only has one version and I don't know if I'd
> be selecting GPL version 2 or 3.  Could it be changed to support
> different versions of the GPL like it does with BSD?

Yes, there is an annoying inconsistency there. There will (soon) be a
GPL2 and a GPL3 and they'll be easy to identify. But there's no easily
differentiable BSD3 and BSD4.

I suppose the GPL one can be excused since by default the licence is
"version two or later". It's a special case to choose one in particular
although this may change when v3 comes out. Some may want an explicit v2
(like the Linux kernel) while others will want the anti-patent
protection which v3 intends to offer.

D.

--
Dougal Stanton