[Haskell-cafe] Optimization again.

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Dec 14 09:31:00 EST 2006

szefirov:
> I profiled my program and found that residency looks pretty fixed but
> program memory usage grows and eventually I get heap overflow (on
> Windows) or heavy pagefile trashing (on Linux).
>
> When I turn on +RTS -c to use heap compaction I immediately get the
> following:
>
> -----------------------------
> xxxx.exe: internal error: scavenge_mark_stack: unimplemented/strange
> closure type 30 @ 03678268
>    Please report this as a bug to glasgow-haskell-bugs at haskell.org,
>    or http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/ghc/
> -----------------------------
>
> This already reported as a bug, but isn't fixed yet. The bug is right
> here: http://cvs.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/954
>
> It does appear with 6.4.1 too.

Can you produce this bug using ghc 6.6? If so, please submit a test case
so this can be reproduced and fixed. Either annotate the existing bug
(if you think its the same one), or create a new bug report:

    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/newticket?type=bug

> So I try as hard as I can to reduce the size of garbage produced. No
> much luck so far.

Ok. I doubt anyone can help here though, unless you make the code
available :) Is it possible to put the code online? Is it available via
darcs?

What does your profiling output look like? (The .prof file). What code
is doing the most allocation?

-- Don