[Haskell-cafe] Re: On improving libraries: wanted list

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Dec 13 00:19:58 EST 2006

jgoerzen:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:52:48 +1100, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
>
> > With the upcoming hackathon[1], and its timely focus on real world
> > libraries, infrastructure and tools support, I've started a list of
> > truly missing libraries, for particular problem domains.
> >
> > If you have a problem, for which you think there *should* be a Haskell
> > library, please add it to this page:
> >
> >     http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Wanted_libraries
>
> I have misplaced my haskellwiki login right now, but...
>
> Under section 2:
>
>   MissingH already provides a whole slew of forking/popen code; see
>   http://software.complete.org/missingh/static/doc/System-Cmd-Utils.html
>
> In particular, you seem to be wanting my pipeBoth function.
>
> Note that your proposed String -> IO String function type is insufficient
> because it does not provide a way to evaluate the return value of the
> function.

this kind of functionality seems to be expected by new users (its one of
the more common questions on #haskell).

Is System.Cmd.Utils in a position to be moved into base alongside
System.Cmd and System.Process? It seems quite fundamental for getting
work done quickly for script-like haskell programs.

-- Don