[Haskell-cafe] Writing "Haskell For Dummies Or At Least For People Who Feel Like Dummies When They See The Word 'Monad'"

Gene A yumagene at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 15:42:58 EST 2006

------------......
On 12/11/06, Kirsten Chevalier <catamorphism at gmail.com> wrote:
>there's not really a way to get a publisher to publish something that's
>already released under a free documentation license --
>but correct me if I'm wrong.)

I have on my shelf, copies of "SICP", "Thinking Forth", "The Icon
Programming Language", and "Programming with Unicon", just to name the
ones that I can think of and all of them are available on line.  I
like someone at the beginning of the thread, said "I just like the
feel of paper...no ink".  I read what I have to in online docs, but I
do like to have to sit back with a book.  There is, I believe a book
publishing entity on the net that will publish, on demand, so to
speak, any book submitted to them.  I can't for the life of me
remember the name of that resource, but it makes the idea of turning a
wikibook into a hard copy feasible... no matter what the topic.  I
would surmise that due to the somewhat limited audience of even the
already "TOP" Haskell books, such as "Craft" and Hudak's book {title
has slipped my mind}, that most high volume publishers would have
never picked even those up.  Getting rich by publishing any book on
Haskell is probably not a good motivation for writing it. But I do
believe that people like myself are out there, and ready to buy a good
book, especially about an at time dense subject, in hard copy.  I for
one just like to get away from the whine of the box fan, that is the
cooling device right now on my computing machine, sitting 22" from my
ear canal, and read a good book that is potentially this useful.

happy computing,
gene