[Haskell-cafe] Aim Of Haskell

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 07:23:52 EST 2006

Hi

> That's exactly the problem! For most people there *is* no difference.
> You say "functional programming" to most people, even professional
> programmers, and usually the only chance you have of getting them to
> understand what what you mean is by asking "so, have you heard of
> Lisp, or Scheme?"

Talking to professional programmers, if I tell anyone I program in
Haskell they nearly always say "oh, Pascal, that's cool". No one knows
what functional programming is, Scheme/Lisp are the closest. Maybe we
should try and hijack the phrase functional programming - Haskell is
just too similar to Pascal.

Thanks

Neil