[Haskell-cafe] Aim Of Haskell

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 07:15:50 EST 2006

On 12/12/06, Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 10:58:18AM +0000, Kirsten Chevalier wrote:
> > Functional programming people have a reputation for arrogance --
> > whether that impression is fair or not and whether that arrogance is
> > merited or not, the impression exists, and some people find it a
> > turn-off.
>
> Aren't you talking about the LISP community? ;-)

That's exactly the problem! For most people there *is* no difference.
You say "functional programming" to most people, even professional
programmers, and usually the only chance you have of getting them to
understand what what you mean is by asking "so, have you heard of
Lisp, or Scheme?"

Avoiding the question of whether the Lisp community deserves that
reputation, *we* need to be sure to avoid acquiring the same.

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm