[Haskell-cafe] Trivial database access in Haskell

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 18:25:59 EST 2006

On 12/11/06, Kirsten Chevalier <catamorphism at gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't apologize; you're not being dumb. But, you have to realize that
> if you're using Haskell at all, you *are* the Haskell community.

OK, thanks for the gentle push. After a bit of digging, I decided that
the takusen link looked like a darcs repository, and I downloaded
darcs and got takusen. I installed GHC 6.6 in a spare VM (no PC round
I can install stuff on just now, I'll do this properly later). On the
assumption that the takusen.cabal file means I should look at Cabal, I
had a dig and found the incantation "runhaskell setup.hs".

I got the error:

F:\takusen>runhaskell setup.hs

setup.hs:11:7:
    Could not find module `Distribution.Compat.FilePath':
      it is hidden (in package Cabal-1.1.6)

I assume this relates to the note in setup.hs "For ghc-6.6 you will
need to first install Cabal-1.1.6.1", but as I got GHC from a Windows
binary install, I'm not sure where to go from here. I found the Cabal
webpage and downloaded 1.1.6.1. Trying to install it, I got the
following:

F:\cabal-1.1.6.1>runhaskell Setup.lhs install
Setup.lhs: error reading ./.setup-config; run "setup configure" command?

F:\cabal-1.1.6.1>runhaskell Setup.lhs configure
Configuring Cabal-1.1.6.1...
configure: Dependency base-any: using base-2.0
configure: Using install prefix: C:\Program Files
configure: Binaries installed in: C:\Program Files\Haskell\bin
configure: Libraries installed in: C:\Program
Files\Haskell\Cabal-1.1.6.1\ghc-6.6
configure: Private binaries installed in: C:\Program Files\Cabal-1.1.6.1
configure: Data files installed in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Cabal-1.1.6.1
configure: Using compiler: c:\ghc\ghc-6.6\bin\ghc.exe
configure: Compiler flavor: GHC
configure: Compiler version: 6.6
configure: Using package tool: c:\ghc\ghc-6.6\bin\ghc-pkg.exe
configure: Using ar found on system at: c:\ghc\ghc-6.6\bin\ar.exe
configure: No haddock found
configure: No pfesetup found
configure: No ranlib found
configure: Using runghc found on system at: c:\ghc\ghc-6.6\bin\runghc.exe
configure: No runhugs found
configure: No happy found
configure: No alex found
configure: Using hsc2hs: c:\ghc\ghc-6.6\bin\hsc2hs.exe
configure: No c2hs found
configure: No cpphs found
configure: No greencard found

F:\cabal-1.1.6.1>runhaskell Setup.lhs install
Installing: C:\Program Files\Haskell\Cabal-1.1.6.1\ghc-6.6 &
C:\Program Files\Haskell\bin Cabal-1.1.6.1...
Setup.lhs: Error: Could not find module: Distribution.Compiler with any suffix:
["hi"]

OK, that's as far as I can go. Remember, what I *want* to do is to run
some SQL against my database to get some data into a Haskell program.
I'm not up to debugging a Cabal install. (At this point, if I was
doing this for "real work", I'd be off to the Python website like a
shot...)

Can anyone help? I promise, I will document what I end up with!

Paul.