[Haskell-cafe] Trivial database access in Haskell

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 17:52:34 EST 2006

On 12/11/06, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> The point I was trying (badly!) to make was that without sample code
> on how to do "trivial" queries, I can't work out which library is
> closest to what I want. And without installation instructions, I can't
> try them out.

Well, if anyone has that sample code, someone who is reading this
mailing list probably does. But if you can't find even simple sample
code, that's probably a sign that not a lot of people have tried to
write large database applications in Haskell using the existing
libraries, or at all. I may be wrong, but I suspect that that's true.
Somebody has to be first.

So this is your cue to RTFS. And I'm trying to say "RTFS" in the
nicest possible way in which I can say it. With an "F" that stands for
"friendly" although I suspect that the code is going to look to you
like anything but.

> This is my first real experience with trying to obtain and use a 3rd
> party library with Haskell, so I apologise if these are newbie-level
> dumb issues. I'm not trying to complain, but I do suspect there is an
> issue here with easy library availability that the Haskell community
> could look at. Python was in a similar situation for a long time, and
> I suspect it's just a bit further down the track. Certainly from what
> I've seen of Cabal, it's similar in philosophy to Python's distutils.
> But this is going off on a tangent - maybe I'll revisit it when I've
> got some more experience under my belt with installing DB libraries
> :-)

Don't apologize; you're not being dumb. But, you have to realize that
if you're using Haskell at all, you *are* the Haskell community.

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"...I thought the secret of life was obvious: be here now, love as if your whole