[Haskell-cafe] Stratified monads

J. Garrett Morris trevion at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 14:20:17 EST 2006

On 12/11/06, Mark T.B. Carroll <mark at ixod.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure I actually understand them properly yet, but I'm already
> curious about if anybody's played with them in Haskell, or how useful
> it would be to do so. Any comments?

Haskell implementations of the transformers in Espinosa's paper are
discussed in Mark Jones's 1995 paper Functional Programming with
Overloading and Higher-Order Polymorphism, and are available with the
mtl package that is (I believe) usable with all the major Haskell
compilers and distributed with at least ghc and hugs.  (I've never
used yhc or jhc, so I don't know what libraries they distribute.)

I'm personally fond of framing most non-trivial Haskell problems as
defining domain specific languages; as a result, everything over about
200 lines that I've written in the past 3 years has used the mtl in
some form or fashion.  It's great.

 /g

--
It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind.