[Haskell-cafe] Stratified monads

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 14:13:30 EST 2006

As far as I know, the "stratified monads" are recognized as "monad
transformers" in Haskell. The predominant library is the Monad
Transformer Library (or mtl) coded by Andy Gill, see [1].

One of my favorite examples of the usefulness of monad transformers is
for building domains for denotational semantics: see [2]. I'm sure
other people can sugget many other favorite uses.

I hope I haven't misinterpreted "stratified monads"...

Nick

[1] - http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries
[2] - http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/liang95monad.html