[Haskell-cafe] A backwards-compatible record proposal

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Sat Aug 19 17:11:14 EDT 2006

Brian Hulley wrote:
> However I think it could be solved by a more complex desugaring:

The proposed desugarings allow us to either make all dotted fields in a
record visible, or none of them visible, but I don't think there exists a
desugaring that would allow some to be visible while others were hidden.

However this wouldn't be a problem because we could just have the rule that
if people want to use dotted fields, they must either export all the fields
in the record or no fields in the record (including non-dotted fields).

This restriction could later be relaxed when tools/compilers etc implemented
dotted fields directly.

I don't think it's that important as I've never encountered a situation
where I wanted to make only part of a record visible - I suppose I'm just an
"all or nothing" person ;-)

Apologies for the multiple posts,
Brian.