[Haskell-cafe] Re: A backwards-compatible record proposal

Gene A yumagene at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 12:13:40 EDT 2006

On 8/19/06, Brian Hulley <brianh at metamilk.com> wrote:
{...
 magSquared v = v.x*v.x + v.y*v.y + v.z*v.z
...}

Hi,
   Won't the use of the "dot" lend confusion to the eye of the
beholder.. that as in the code fragment about that v.y or v.z is
implying function composition .... I'll admit to being pretty new to
Haskell, but that is what it would look like to me.  Could, I think
cause some confusion to others reading a program with this construct,
and might fool some of the tools that some others have mentioned..
Would seem that parser could or would make that mistake?

with respect,
gene