[Haskell-cafe] REALLY simple STRef examples

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 4 18:18:08 EDT 2006

Chad

| x = runST $ return (1::Int)

This code looks simple, but it isn't. Here are the types:

	runST :: forall a.  (forall s. ST s a) -> a

	($) :: forall b c. (b->c) -> b -> c

	return 1 :: forall s. ST s Int

To typecheck, we must instantiate
	b	with (forall s. ST s Int)
	c	with Int

In H-M that's impossible, because you can't instantiate a type variable
(b) with a polytype (forall s. ST s Int).  GHC will now let you do that
(a rather recent change), but in this case it's hard to figure out that
it should do so.  Equally plausible is to instantiate b with (ST s'
Int), where s' is a unification variable.

One way to make this work is to look at $'s first argument first. Then
it's clear how to instantiate b.  Then look at the second argument.  But
if you look at the second argument first, matters are much less clear.
GHC uses an algorithm that is insensitive to argument order, so it can't
take advantage of the left-to-right bias of this example.

It's unfortunate that such a simple-looking piece of code actually
embodies a rather tricky typing problem!  Of course there is no problem
if you don' use the higher order function $.  Use parens instead

	x = runST (return 1)

Simon