[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: An index-aware linear algebra library in Haskell

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at um.es
Sun Apr 16 11:06:55 EDT 2006

It is really counterintuitive! I will study carefully your library and the
"Implicit Configurations" paper. Using static dimension checking we can write
very solid code for matrix computations...

However, I don't know how to write some definitions. For instance, this is ok:

m = $(dAM [[1,2,3]])

but with:

x = [[1,2,3]] :: [[Double]]
m1 = $(dAM x)
m2 = listMat x

main = do
    print m1
    print m2

I get:

Vector/examples.hs:35:11:
    GHC stage restriction: `x'
      is used in a top-level splice, and must be imported, not defined locally
    In the first argument of `dAM', namely `x'
    In the definition of `m1': m1 = $[splice](dAM x)

Vector/examples.hs:40:10:
    Inferred type is less polymorphic than expected
      Quantified type variable `m' escapes
      Quantified type variable `n' escapes
      Expected type: (v (L m, L n) -> w) -> t
      Inferred type: (forall n1 m1.
                      (ReflectNum n1, ReflectNum m1) =>
                      v (L m1, L n1) -> w)
                     -> w
    In the first argument of `print', namely `m2'
    In the result of a 'do' expression: print m2

I would also like to create a matrix from a data file:

main = do
    let m1 = $(dAM [[1,2],[3,4::Double]])
    s <- readFile "data.txt"
    let list = read s :: [[Double]]
    --let m2 = $(dAM list)
    let m2 = listMat list
    print $ m2 *> trans m1

But I get a similar error. Perhaps I must provide information about the
expected dimensions, but I don't know how to do it.

--
Alberto