[Haskell-cafe] Haskell on Pocket PC?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 08:15:38 EDT 2006

Hi,

> Starting from YHC porting pages the only  source for Win32 port I
> found is  WinHaskell.
> [http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/projects/winhaskell.php]
That's an entirely separate project, it just uses Yhc/GHC/Hugs.

Thats the things about the Yhc port to Windows - its not a port, Yhc
just natively supports Windows.

Get the standard source:
darcs get http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/darcs/yhc-devel

src/runtime/BCKernel/msvc and you'll find MSVC (Microsoft Visual C)
projects for 2003 and 2005. From the root of the darcs tree, if you
have either MSVC installed, "makefile yhi" and it will get built.

See [http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yhc/Building] for details of
how to build on Windows.

> Also there is a thing called WinHugs at
> http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/projects/winhugs.php
> but I could not find source download for this one.
Thats part of Hugs, just check out Hugs from CVS and You'll have that.
Entirely unrelated to Yhc.

> 1) So far I found only a development source for GCC which for the
> complete build needs not only GMP,  but GHC as well. The last one is
> needed, correct me if I am wrong, for building YHC, but not for YHi.
> Correct?
Yhi is the runtime, that requires a C compiler and GMP (GMP could be
massaged out relatively easily)

Yhc is the compiler, that requires a Haskell 98 compiler. Hugs or GHC
can be used. Give us a month or so, and Yhc will support Yhc. At that
point you'll be able to compile Yhc using Yhc, and run the result
using Yhi. This is an easy cross-compile, since all compiles are done
to a portable bytecode.

> Is porting Hugs harder then YHC? What do you think?
We have had a lot of success and getting some really weird Yhc ports
done in under an hour, so I'd day Yhc is very portable. I'd be shocked
if you couldn't port Yhi in a single day. Never tried with Hugs.

> I have successfuly compiled and run Hugs on NetBSD. Hugs compilation
> does not require GHC. So may be (at least for intepreter) Hugs is
> easier to port then YHC/YHi?
Today, yes, Hugs is easier. Once Yhc can compile Yhc (something we're
working on, and won't be long, a few months tops), a port of Yhi gives
you Yhc for free. Yhc has one of its stated aims as being the most
portable compiler.

The one thing that might make it harder for Hugs is that the make
system for Hugs is based on having Cygwin installed. There are Visual
Studio project files for the actual main .exe, but the rest is built
inside Cygwin.

Thanks

Neil