[Haskell-cafe] Where to start about writing web/HTTP apps ?

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Mon Sep 12 15:54:23 EDT 2005

I will be launching (beta) a new commercial chat site written using
Haskell and AJAX in the next month.  The server is written on top of
the HAppS library I made available at http://HappS.org.

My general pattern for writing an application in this framework is
write the server based on a wire-level spec where the server takes in
XML/x-www-form-encoded/multipart-form-data and returns XML.  Client
side XSLT stylesheets then handle conversion of the XML to HTML.  Here
are the details if you are interested:

1. Write a web service spec as a reference for both client and server
development.  I use an informal language for this that relies on a
mix of the reader understanding HTTP semantics and RelaxNG XML specs.

   POST /login ? {username {text},password{text},url{URL},captcha(text}}
   200 session {attribute userId{text},attribute href {rel-URL}}

   Some text here describing other details that don't fit into the
   syntactic model described above.  Server is assumed to handle any of
   application/x-www-form-urlencoded, multipart/form-data, or
   application/xml.  Client is assumed to receive application/xml.
   Browser is assumed to handle XSL stylesheet PIs.  (All conversion
   from XML to HTML is handled client side or on proxy using XSLT
   template)

2. Define Server State and state model

   data State = State {users::UserData}
   ...definition of user data...

   startState = State mzero
   addStateUser state user = ....

3. Define serialization for server state

   instance Show State where ...
   instance Read State where ---

4. Define exposed business logic

   addUser appCtx regInfo = if regGood then actionOk newState [] newUserInfo
                            else qOk badRegInfo

5. define required wire formats for types

   --convert internal data type to XML
   instance ToElement NewUserInfo where
      toElement n = ...

   --convert posted data to internal data type
   instance FromMessage RegInfo where
      fromMessage msg = ...

6. define how busines logic maps to URLs

   a POST _ ["u"] = doXML addUser
   a GET "myapp.com" ("s":path) = fileServe mimeTypes "static" path

   myApp appCtx = let ?style=XSL "/s/style.xsl" in simpleHTTP a appCtx

7. define the app to execute

   run  path host = do
                    app <- startApp $ simpleConfig path startState confro
                    serve host app
                    return ()

   main = run "appdir" "localhost:80"

8. put client side stuff (including style.xsl) in the "static" directory

9. install searchpath (see http://searchpath.org)

10 run it!

   $ searchPath ghc -o MyApp --internet http://searchpath.org/default.map src/MyApp.hs
   $ MyApp

HAppS and the chat applications are still works in progress, but I
have this running successfully internally already!

-Alex-
S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com