[Haskell-cafe] Hacking Haskell in Nightclubs?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Nov 30 04:43:34 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Paul Hudak wrote:

> rd at slavepianos.org wrote:
> > Real-time audio is much simpler these days due to SuperCollider, a
> > truly excellent cross platform audio synthesis server by James
> > McCartney.
> > OSC messages can be timestamped, and SuperCollider has a sample
> > accurate scheduling queue, so language timing jitter can easily be
> > worked around.  I think that the SuperCollider model is an excellent
> > fit with languages like Haskell.
>
> Thanks, this is just what I've been waiting for!  I believe the
> time-stamping of events, and a suitable scheduling queue, are critical
> for making real-time music.  With the work you've done I suspect it
> would be pretty easy to build a SuperCollider backend for Haskore.

Yes, great! I also tested SuperCollider in the past but it was hard for me
to get an overview of the documentation. The simplest way for me seemed to
use the SuperCollider programming language and thus to write an Haskore
backend translating into this language. But I prefer a direct (binary)
connection to the SuperCollider server.

Btw. I'm just collecting event list related code scattered in Haskore
modules for MIDI, performance and my Haskell audio signal backend in order
to setup a module for handling lists with time stamped events. This may be
also helpful for SuperCollider then.