[Haskell-cafe] Hacking Haskell in Nightclubs?

rd at slavepianos.org rd at slavepianos.org
Tue Nov 29 20:44:03 EST 2005

Real-time audio is much simpler these days due to SuperCollider, a
truly excellent cross platform audio synthesis server by James
McCartney.

  http://www.audiosynth.com
  http://supercollider.sf.net

To communicate with the server one only needs to implement the most
basic aspects of the Open Sound Control (OSC) byte protocol (in
particular none of the pattern matching is required).

  http://www.opensoundcontrol.org/

To define 'instruments' there is a SuperCollider specific byte
protocol for describing Unit Generator (UGen) graphs.

I have an initial Haskell implementation of both these protocols at:

  http://www.slavepianos.org/rd/f/207949/
  darcs get http://www.slavepianos.org/rd/sw/sw-69/

If SuperCollider is running on the local host at the usual port then:

  Hsc*> play' sc ab
  Hsc*> stop' sc

should play (and then stop playing) the famous 'Analog Bubbles' test
sound:

ab = out AR 0 $ combn AR s 0.2 0.2 4
    where s = sinosc AR (midicps f) 0 * 0.1
          f = lfsaw KR 0.4 0 * 24 + o
          o = lfsaw KR (MCE [8, 7.23]) 0 * 3 + 80

The Hsc module can also write UGen graphs to the 'dot' language, so
graphs can be drawn automatically, which can be useful for debugging.

I have been working with scheme and SuperCollider for some time, but
have been using haskell recently and generally like it very well.  I
don't think static typing is an issue.

OSC messages can be timestamped, and SuperCollider has a sample
accurate scheduling queue, so language timing jitter can easily be
worked around.  I think that the SuperCollider model is an excellent
fit with languages like Haskell.

Regards,
Rohan