[Haskell-cafe] Records

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Sat Nov 19 15:53:00 EST 2005

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

>Ketil Malde wrote:
>[about A.b and A . b potentially meaning different things:]
>>Syntax that changes depending on spacing is my number
>>one gripe with the Haskell syntax
>I've generally considered that one of the good ideas in most current
>languages (it's not specific to Haskell). ISTR there was a Basic dialect
>  IF X = 0 THEN X = X + 1
>meant the same thing.
My point is that e.g. currently "foo? bar", "foo ?bar" and "foo ? bar"
have (at least two) different meanings.   Hierarchical naming collides
with function composition (admittedly only rarely in practice).
Template haskell collides with list comprehensions.

Do you really think that is such a great idea?