[Haskell-cafe] Records

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho antti-juhani at kaijanaho.info
Sat Nov 19 13:28:39 EST 2005

Ketil Malde wrote:
[about A.b and A . b potentially meaning different things:]
> Syntax that changes depending on spacing is my number
> one gripe with the Haskell syntax

I've generally considered that one of the good ideas in most current
languages (it's not specific to Haskell). ISTR there was a Basic dialect
where
  IFX=0THENX=X+1
and
  IF X = 0 THEN X = X + 1
meant the same thing. If that dialect had allowed multi-character
variable names (which I think it didn't), ANDY would have been parsed as
AND Y instead of the simple variable ANDY.

Hence, spacing being significant is not Haskell-specific and is
generally a good thing.

--
Antti-Juhani