[Haskell-cafe] Project postmortem

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Fri Nov 18 12:19:11 EST 2005

Am Freitag, 18. November 2005 17:16 schrieb Jason Dagit:
> [...]
> I was playing with one of the Haskell OpenGL libraries (actually it's
> a refined FFI) over the summer and some things about it rubbed me the
> wrong way.  I wanted to try fixing them but I really couldn't figure
> out how to get ahold of the code and start hacking.  I found some
> candidates, but it seemed like old cvs repositories or something.  I
> was confused, ran out of time and moved on.  Why do I bring it up?
> If it had been obvious where to get an official copy of the library I
> could have tried sending in some patches to make things work the way
> I wanted.  I'm a huge fan of darcs repositories, BTW.

Hmmm, as the OpenGL/GLUT/OpenAL/ALUT guy I have to admit that I should really,
really update the web pages about those packages. But anyway: Asking on any
Haskell mailing list (there is even one especially for the OpenGL/GLUT
packages) normally gives you fast response times. Without even knowing that
there is a problem, there is nothing I can fix. :-) And don't hesitate to ask
questions about the usage of those packages, because this is valuable
feedback, too. Regarding the repository: The normal fptools repository is the
"official" one for those packages. But IIRC, most GHC binary packages include
OpenGL/GLUT support, so there is normally no urgent need for a home-made
version. All packages are already cabalized, but I have to admit that I have
never tried to build them on their own.

Cheers,
   S.