[Haskell-cafe] Project postmortem

Jason Dagit dagit at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Fri Nov 18 11:16:01 EST 2005

On Nov 18, 2005, at 2:17 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> I hope you don't abandon Haskell altogether.  Without steady, friendly
> pressure from applications-end folk like you, things won't improve.
> It's incredibly valuable feedback.  But I can see that when you
> have to
> deliver something next week you can't wait around for some someone to
> get around to fixing your problem.  (They aren't paid either!)  Maybe
> you can use Haskell for something less mission-critical, so that
> you can
> keep up the pressure?

Here is some feedback on a negative experience I had with Haskell
recently (really about the only negative experience :)

I was playing with one of the Haskell OpenGL libraries (actually it's
a refined FFI) over the summer and some things about it rubbed me the
wrong way.  I wanted to try fixing them but I really couldn't figure
out how to get ahold of the code and start hacking.  I found some
candidates, but it seemed like old cvs repositories or something.  I
was confused, ran out of time and moved on.  Why do I bring it up?
If it had been obvious where to get an official copy of the library I
could have tried sending in some patches to make things work the way
I wanted.  I'm a huge fan of darcs repositories, BTW.

Thanks,
Jason