[Haskell-cafe] Project postmortem

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 18:37:06 EST 2005

On Nov 17, 2005, at 10:59 PM, Scotty Weeks wrote:

> What would your impression be of building an application in Haskell
> versus Erlang from a practical point of view given your experiences
> with this project and the Erlang poker server?

I would have been done much faster and with far less trouble. The
scripting would have been a royal pain in the rear for the customer,
though. But, again, I would have been done much faster as network
clients/servers is what Erlang excels at. That and concurrency.

Haskell... I'm still trying to figure out why reading from a Chan
with getChanContents and then printing out the contents works and
doing the same with readChan and looping blocks. Or why the app now
crashes violently on Mac OSX but works without a hitch on Windows.
And I still don't have a good timeout combinator.

I felt very excited this morning given the newly found love between
my app and Windows but the excitement lasted only until I realized
that hWaitForIO blocks all other threads :-(.

> My feelings having developed a little with Erlang and embarking on
> a Haskell project are that the learning curve is far steeper with
> Haskell but it is far more elegant and readable. I'm still climbing
> that curve though (IO makes me want to pull my hair out).

Unless lightning strikes and tomorrow morning I figure out what's the
deal with the spurious Mac OSX crashes, I think this might be my last
network app in Haskell. I should really be spending time on the
business end of the app intead of figuring out platform differences
and the like.

	Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/