[Haskell-cafe] doc/html -> wiki -> xml

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Wed Nov 16 04:10:34 EST 2005

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

>Oh no!  Converting LaTeX to HTML is terrible, in my opinion.  One reason for
>this is that LaTeX isn't a markup language and provides a mixture of logical
>and visual macros.

Conversely, I've occasionally tried to convert stuff - I think a TMR
issue was one example, and occasionally HTML documents - to PDF via
LaTeX.  Unfortunately, people used a variety of ways to get the desired
look and feel, and it's very difficult to do the conversion
automatically (or 'unsupervised' as we like to call it here :-).

The ideal is to have a simple, rigid, semantic markup in the source
document.  While I dislike XML at least as much as the next guy, it is
probably the best choice for this.   Ideally, the DTD should be a lot
simpler than DocBook, but OTOH, DocBook comes with a lot of conversion
methods for free.

-k