[Haskell-cafe] Speed comparison?

John Hughes rjmh at cs.chalmers.se
Wed May 4 07:32:15 EDT 2005

>>Furthermore, the Haskell page says that ghc produces fast programs.
>>So I would guess that Haskell is faster than Python, but not as fast
>>as C.
>>
>>Would that be correct?
>>

>Usually yes.

In a sense. I think it's important to remember that what matters is
performance of a whole application, not of highly tuned benchmark code,
and in writing applications with good performance, then the quality of
profiling tools, and (especially) the amount of time the programmer has
available for tuning, can be far more important than the compiler. There
have certainly been occasions where Haskell entries to the ICFP
programming contest have beat OCaml or even C/C++ entries on
performance, by a wide margin. Likewise Ericsson's ATM switch, which is
controlled by a million lines plus of Erlang (running on a byte code
interpreter!), performs better than all its competitors.

Benchmarks give a very one-sided view, ignoring the large effect that
ease of programming can have on the final system's performance.

John Hughes