[Haskell-cafe] Comparison with Clean?

Krasimir Angelov kr.angelov at gmail.com
Wed May 4 05:32:48 EDT 2005

If you want to compare Haskell and Clean then take a look at Object
I/O library. It is ported to Haskell and you can learn a lot comparing
both implementations. I spent a lot of time translating Clean
functions to Haskell and my own impression is that Haskell's do
notation is much more easier that uniqueness typing. In Clean you have
to explicitly maintain the state while in Haskell it is hidden. In
order to preserve uniquenes property of state, quite often you have
write uggly functions like:

getXYZ :: State -> (XYZ, State)
getXYZ st = (f st, st)

while in Haskell the above function should be:

getXYZ :: State -> XYZ
getXYZ st = f st

It is more clean and from the type signature you can see that this is
readonly access to the state.

Cheers,
 Krasimir