[Haskell-cafe] Re: Where do you use Haskell?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue May 3 11:03:32 EDT 2005

Daniel Carrera writes:

 > So, I'm tempted to conclude that FP is only applicable to
 > situations where user interaction is a small part of the
 > program. For example, for simulations.

I can't confirm that. I've written several I/O-intensive
applications in Haskell, including full-blown network
servers which arguably do nothing _but_ user interaction,
and I haven't run into any problems I couldn't solve. Plus,
most of the problems I've ran into were caused by non-strict
evaluation rather than the purely functional design per se.

The old saw of "right tool for the right job" certainly
applies to Haskell too, but given the fact that there are
_operating systems_ written in Haskell, I'd say that
Haskell's scope is a lot broader than most people would
think.

Peter