[darcs-users] Re: [Haskell-cafe] fptools in darcs now available

Erik de Castro Lopo hc-erikd at mega-nerd.com
Sun May 1 18:40:57 EDT 2005

On Mon, 02 May 2005 00:20:40 +0200
Sven Panne <Sven.Panne at aedion.de> wrote:

> Don't get me wrong: I am quite aware of the limitations of CVS and I would
> *never* start a fresh project with CVS.

OK, so you agree that CVS has limitations.

> But Subversion is a very worthy
> successor and being "the oldest" as you mentioned is a definite plus in the
> mission-critical area of version management systems.

Subversion only fixes the most obvious deficiencies of CVS, the lack of
atomic commits and the inability to preserve history across rename
events.

However, there are other things that you would want to do in a revision
control system. The main one is to set up branches and merge from branch
to branch with as little human intervention as possible.

SVN does not improve on CVS's rather poor across branch merging
capabitilites where as others like Darcs and GNU Arch do. I haven't
use Darcs, but I have been using GUN Arch for over 12 months and
use branches for experimental work, sometimes as many as 10 branches
on a single projects. Arch allows me to merge from branch to branch
pretty mucu at will.

Erik