[Haskell-cafe] Re: haskell parser for java bytecode?

Kimberley Burchett kimbly at shell.cybercom.net
Thu Jun 30 11:02:47 EDT 2005

Jerzy Karczmarczuk asked:

> Why for goodness' sake, people interested in Haskell *should* worry
> about parsing of Java bytecode chunks?

Are you asking why I'm interested in bytecode instead of source code, or
are you asking why I'm interested in Java at all?

One answer to the first question is: because java bytecode is a simpler
problem domain than java source.  For example, name resolution is trivial
when working with bytecode (there's no ambiguity between
package/class/variable names, inherited names are already resolved,
overloaded functions are already resolved, etc).  Also, many of the newer
features of java disappear at the bytecode level: inner classes, generics,
the new foreach statement, etc.

Another answer to the first question is: because java bytecode can be used
as a target for several languages these days, and by working with it
directly, I can work with any language that compiles to the jvm, rather
than restricting myself just to java.

The answer to the second question is: because the rest of the world
matters to some people.

Kimberley Burchett
http://www.kimbly.com/