[Haskell-cafe] Unicode.hs (was: RE: Re[2]: ANNOUNCE: GHC survey results)

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 09:36:25 EDT 2005

Vadim Konovalov wrote:

that file reads:

-- Based on the GHC.Unicode library, Copyright 2005, Dimitry Golubovsky.
-- See GHC's LICENSE file for the full license text.

That said, it is part of GHC?

Clarifying on Unicode stuff in GHC I contributed:

It is in CVS now, and I believe will be in 6.4.1

At least it shows up at:

(MAIN branch)

But this module is just an interface to another module, WCsubst.c:

which in turn was produced from UnicodeData.txt (? I believe this is
correct name of the file from www.unicode.org) by the shell script:

This API handles simple case conversions (Char -> Char), and
categorization of characters according to what is in the
UnicodeData.txt file.

Before (i. e. up to and including 6.4), Unicode stuff was handled
through wc* locale based functions for wide chars conversion. Since
not every installation of Unix (or some other OS) has this set up
properly (mine was not: personal itch), this code was proposed for GHC
and finally made it there.

Hope this explains everything. In fact, Unicode.hs itself is not
completely mine ;)

PS: Autrijus (the guy who develops Pugs) included those files on his
own because 6.4 was just out, and Unicode stuff was not there yet.

Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web