[Haskell-cafe] Buddha and GHC 6.4

Bernard Pope bjpop at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Jun 20 01:04:06 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 12:16 -0400, Jim Apple wrote:
> Has anyone gotten Buddha (now called "plargleflarp"
> http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~bjpop/buddha/) do work with GHC 6.4? I'm getting
>
> ghc-6.4: unknown package: buddha
>
> Jim
> P.S. What happened to the old name?

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately I haven't had time to get buddha working with GHC 6.4. If
you really need it I can have a look into it later this week (let me
know how urgent it is). Otherwise it is best to stick with the previous
stable release of GHC for the moment.

Plargleflarp is a decoy. I started getting complaints about the name
when the program was noticed by someone on a linux mailing list. The
complaints have come from buddhists who don't like the use of the word.
To stop the complaints I renamed every occurrence of buddha to
plargleflarp on the webpage.

So what will happen in the long term? As yet I don't know. I might
rename the program when version 2.0 comes out, I might not. If you have
any opinion then please let me know.

Cheers,
Bernie.