[Haskell-cafe] HaXml (was: Processing a file with HaXml ...)

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Thu Jun 2 09:06:54 EDT 2005

At 14:38 02/06/05 +0200, Peter Simons wrote:

>Graham Klyne writes:
>
>  > http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/HaskellUtils/HaXml-1.12/
>
>  > This code is all heavily refactored from the original
>  > HaXml for improved XML entity handling, namespace,
>  > xml:lang and xml:base support [...].
>
>Is there any chance of reuniting the two HaXml versions into
>a single release?

Well, this has been discussed, and I think that Malcolm is broadly
favourable in principle, but it ultimately depends upon both of us finding
time and effort to do the requisite merging.  I did talk about my changes
with Malcolm as I applied them, so I would hope there's not too much there
that is incompatible with his vision for HaXml.

Meanwhile, when I have time, I hope to package my version as a Cabal
package so that those who want the features I added have a reasonably easy
route to using them.  Until then, the best I can offer is the code on my
web site.

>I maintain quite a bit of code that's based on Malcolm's
>original HaXml version, and I'm reluctant to switch because
>I'm very happy with his library, but I would also like to
>have support for the features you've mentioned. So from my
>perspective, getting your changes back into the "main
>release" would be the best course of action.

When making changes, I did try fairly hard to maintain as much backward
compatibility as I could -- adding features and interfaces rather than
displacing them -- though I think there were a couple of unavoidable type
signature changes.

The most intractable incompatibilities may be incompatible XML handling
where I have made changes to follow the official specification more closely.

>We've talked about that before. Has there been any progress?

Sadly, no :-(

#g