[Haskell-cafe] Overlapping Instances with Functional Dependencies

Martin Sulzmann sulzmann at comp.nus.edu.sg
Mon Jul 11 22:14:33 EDT 2005

This is still an ad-hoc solution, cause you lose
the `most-specific' instance property. You really have to
impose a `fixed' ordering in which instance-improvement rules
fire.

Recap:

The combination of overlapping instances
and type improvement leads to a `non-confluent' system, i.e.
there're too many (inconsistent) choices how to improve and reduce
constraints.

The standard approach to deal with overlapping instances is to
impose a fixed order among the resulting reduction rules
(the `most-specific' order can be seen as a special instance
of a fixed order).

FDs imply improvement rules. In case of overlapping instances these
improvement rules are immediately non-confluent.
As Simon pointed out:
"...what ever mechanism is used for instance matching, the same
would be used for type dependencies..."
Hence, combining instances and improvement rules is the obvious
`solution'. Hints can be found in my first two replies where I said:
1) "... You find some hints how to achieve this in ... ESOP'04".
2) "...instances and type dependencies are closer linked to each other
  then one might think..."
Concretely, the TypeCast trick already appears in the ESOP'04 paper
on p8 (mid-page).

Conclusion:

I think it's wrong to explain a new feature in terms of an
implementation-specific encoding. We need something more principled
here. Otherwise, we'll face some unexpected behavior (eventually)
again.

Martin