[Haskell-cafe] Re: ocr'ed version of "The implementation of functional languages"

mattr mattr at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Jan 31 02:14:58 EST 2005

On Monday, January 31, 2005, at 05:48 PM, Ivan Boldyrev wrote:

> On 9005 day of my life Matthew Roberts wrote:
>> I have just embarked on creating a ocr'ed version of the jpeg images
>> that have been made available for "The implementation of functional
>> languages".
>
> I have high-resolution scans of this books.  If Simon permits, I will
> create OCR from these scans.  But I think, we must obtain author's
> permission before OCR'ing.

I agree, It was going to be my first port of call once I had decided to
go ahead.

> What kind of software do you use?

I have OmniPage SE, that came with my scanner.  I have a mac and have
to use the macos9 version (no osx native version).  It works quite
well, but it is incapable of exporting with graphics properly, meaning
I have to move all the graphics to their correct positions after I have
exported.  I have the windows version (and a windows pc in the spare
room), but it is incapable of opening the omnipage documents I save
from my mac.  I can't ocr directly on windows because it complains
about the resolutions of the jpegs (for no good reason).  I think this
OmniPage SE is just a bit "half-baked".

In working with someone on this, I think the best idea is to allocate
sections of the book that each person will work on and then use some
sensible format (.doc, or can .rtf do images?) for the resulting
document making the re-assembly of all the sections simple.

Thanks,

Matt