[Haskell-cafe] Re: library documentation

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 27 07:41:27 EST 2005

On 27 January 2005 10:46, Peter Simons wrote:

> Isaac Jones writes:
>
>  > http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/LibraryDocsNeedingHelp
>
> This is a great idea.
>
> I have been thinking .... you know what would make
> contribution to the library efforts even simpler? If they
> were available in a Darcs repository.
>
> Saying "darcs push" after you've spontaneously added a
> three-line explanation into a standard library is a lot more
> attractive than "cvs diff", cutting and pasting that diff
> into an editor, and e-mailing it to the -libraries list.
> (Who submits a diff for three lines of documentation?)
>
> One of the reasons why Darcs is great is that it makes
> submitting changes very simple for _everybody_.

This would be great, but unfortunately the activation energy is quite
high: we're already pretty committed to CVS, so we either move over to
darcs wholesale, or we keep GHC in CVS and libraries in darcs.  Neither
is particularly attractive right now - darcs isn't ready for projects
the size of GHC (at least, last I looked), and having a split repository
would be a nightmare.

Cheers,
	Simon