[Haskell-cafe] Haskell vs. Erlang for heavy-duty network apps

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 28 04:33:52 EST 2005

I've already said to Joel (off-list) how valuable I think his experience
of using Haskell for a new kind of real application is.  I see no reason
in principle why Haskell shouldn't work just fine for his kind of
application.  But he's pushing hard on parts of the system (both
run-time-system and libraries) that have not been as thoroughly
exercised as (say) list processing.

Quite a few people on the mailing list have helped a lot.  My sense is
(though I have not followed all the twists and turns) that Joel's
experience has exposed immaturity in many of the networking libraries.
I hope that people on this list may feel motivated to help improve them.