[Haskell-cafe] Arrows and pickler combinators

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Thu Dec 22 16:39:54 EST 2005

At Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:08:15 +0000,
Joel Reymont wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> This is a very nice library you've got but... It does not answer my
> question re: arrows and it still requires you to specify pickling and
> unpickling separately. I can have a single spec right now and would
> like to keep that.

Ah yes, I see what you mean.

Have you seen, "There and Back Again, Arrows for Invertible Programming"

http://www.cs.ru.nl/~clean/download/papers/2005/alia2005-biarrowsHaskellWorkshop.pdf

In section 5 they talk about using biarrows for Polytypic
(de)serialization.

It is not quite what you want (and requires some special compiler
extensions I think), but it may give you some ideas.

I believe the idea is, you specify either the encoder or the decoder
(your choice), and the other direction is automatically derived.

j.